Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cooking Tip: Hummus

I Love to cook, most of my friends in San Francisco don't really know this. See this is because I have a small kitchenette. Its not really designed for cooking and since I live alone, right off a great strip of restaurants... I rarely cook. I know I am bad!

My friends who know me from my U.O. college days are probably thinking WTF. How can this be? Since they were always at my place eating something or another. I was always well stocked with food. Well then, I had a whole kitchen and pantry! Not to mention an island and space to prep and move around. Plus living in apartment complex made it easy to have friends all around. So yea I had like food for four.

OK. So even when I don't really cook there are some things I still love to do. One is Hummus!

What you need:

Two cans of garbanzo beans

Then you need a table spoon cause its your measuring guide. Per can you need a tablespoon of:


  • Tahini
  • Oil - I tend to like to use a spicy one to give it heat.
  • Lemon

Then its all about the food processor, you could maybe substitute a blender. Or maybe even a small hand processor but be careful about this one. I have to say I love my Cuisinart.

Then add a pinch of cumin (a pinch its strong!) and blend it. Depending on how chunky you want it, add some water or a bit more lemon juice.

Then it is ready to serve, I always like to put a bit of paprika on the top to give it a touch of color.

Note this is the basic recipe. From here you can really spice it up. You can add almost anything, try:
  • Garlic
  • Red peppers
  • Sun dried tomatoes.
  • Black Beans
  • Curry
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment