Friday, February 19, 2010

SF Pillow Fight 2010

So sorry, I have been really bad in multiple ways the biggest one being that I just haven't written in this blog! I said I would do it and I have not been. So I am making it up right now! As you know in my list of things to do is participate in a Flash Mob, well one I do often (don't think of it as one opps) is the Valentine's Day Pillow Fight in SF! Every year it happens at 6pm at Justin Herman Plaza and is crazy. This is a huge, massive, mob of a pillow fight, where thousands of people show up to beat each other with pillows. Please take a second to wrap your mind around this fact a 1,000 PLUS person Pillow Fight. Just in case you cannot visualize this please check out this video:



Can you see how crazy and intense it is? It is a full on mob! Not just a mob a mob made of people ready to beat each other down. Lucky it was just pillows but even so sometimes you would actually connect with people. I know I did and I got a few pretty damn good knocks myself. Regardless of the fact I was glad to meet up with some friends and was able to keep a hold of my date for the most part. The pictures are by Jennifer Emperador.
That's is us all before the fight.. I swear the place is like the calm before a storm. People keep coming together it becomes a massive sea of pillows. The Justin Herman Plaza in front of the Ferry Building becomes crazy, intense and completely packed.
If you think this is a short half an hour thing, well obviously you don't know SF very well. We don't take things lightly or just play around we go all out. To stay in the fight the whole time is insane. I really wonder how many calories you burn fighting your heart out with a pillow. It took a good 20 minuets to fight your way through the crowd and after getting through once, well my date and I decided we needed a lil night cap. So we went to the wine bar hit the last call and had a lovely Malbec. We get out to see in the distance what appears to be snow, naturally we know it is not and as we get closer we see the individual feathers.
Unable to resist we rush back in to the fight, note it has been going on for over an hour now. The night is dark and the pillows flying. Being sucked back in the fight for a good bit is not hard to do as it looks like a lot of fun. Thus it is time to scream "CHARGE" and run back in full force with the courage of wine backing us.

After a good bit of time, loosing track of it really, while the fight is still going on fight fiercely almost two hours later. We are done, toast and just damn hungry. Yet walking down the street little mini fights erupted on the side walks to the quick passing in the crosswalk. Their is nothing one can do but smile and go after some THAI. Of which Osha did an amazing job and really went over the top. From the complimentary 1st glass of champagne , to the dessert and bringing the check with a long stem rose. Damn I love their food normally but that was doing Valentines with style.

No comments:

Post a Comment