Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Flying Trapeze 3/27/10 - BAYPAC

Remember how I had Flying Trapeze in my list of things To-Do. Now how I got that idea in my brain, I am not sure. Yet it got there, and even on my top 25 list of things to do this year. So naturally I decided to bite the bullet, because that is what this blog is all about right?
The place is a little hard to find but then again I would put it where rent is cheap too. It also is intimidating as there are ropes and nets all over the place. Everywhere you look there is quite literally something from out of the circus.. oh wait that is because it is.
There is a group ahead of us having fun as we are waiting watching. They are flying and having fun being caught and we are just tittering. Everyone is on their phones and updating status and then it is our turn.
Naturally before starting to learn something so out of the ordinary for our bodies, we have to limber up. So the stretching commences and we all laugh as we try to wrap our heads around what we are about to do.
So naturally before we go up we have to practice the moves. Learn the lingo. We have to figure out what some of our problem areas are before. Getting your legs up to the bar is very hard and something I struggled with. The release and letting yourself fall is scary and the arch can be very hard but is critical to the catch.
Granted these are not the only hard and scary parts. I mean reaching out to grab that bar, then releasing the hand to grab it with the other one. Trusting completely in the fact that this little spry girl behind you is holding you.
Everyone agreed that the tiny little ladder that you have to climb up really builds the anticipation. Your climbing and just going higher, while you are someone is jumping and someone one is getting strapped in as your head pokes over.
If you think the climb is scary, try having three people on that tiny landing pad. It sure gets crowded up there, and while we the group are clinging on thinking “That we are crazy” over and over again in our heads. Our spotter is just strapping us away, and moving all around without a second thought.
So after we are ready which means knees bent, and hip which means we have jumped off. You are swinging yourself up and locking your knees over the bar. It is exhillerating to be swinging in the air like that and then the next step comes.
Release. You let go of the bar and arch as far back as you can. Looking back, trying to see the flag posted on the other side of the wall. Then it is back and you are grabbing the bar again and releasing your legs. Then it is just a nice easy drop to the net so someone else can go.
Waiting, watching, chatting … the group bonds and it is a blast. The characters of the group start to emerge and the two plus hours start to fly by.
A quick snap of some new girl friends who are waiting for their turn. As we gossip and yell up encouragement. The tension is running high as we all anticipate our turn.
One person who really stood out to me as being totally fearless was Ms.S even though she was scared she kept climbing back up and jumping off. Now that is inspiration.

Seeing it is better than just checking out pictures. I am very thankful to whomever took that video for me they did a great job. Plus they were up on the launching pad too and had a great view. I got to say the hardest parts for me well besides jumping off... is getting your legs up there and locking. Every time I had an issue but I would hook a toe or two and then keep moving over the bar. From there on it is pretty easy. Let go, arch your back and look way back for the guy on the other trapeze ready to grab you.
With energy and excitement running high amongst the group. Our blood is pumping and the BAYPAC crew quickly snaps a photo before dispersing. I know I left feeling like I accomplished something.

No comments:

Post a Comment