Thursday, December 31, 2009

Tango at Cellspace

Whew! This day was quite packed and that's the way they all should be. Not only did I sell back almost $400 back in books (two were optional aka Library thank you!). I got to go see a friend, get a double sweet hook up... one of which was to get me into the movie: Up in the Air. It has a good plot, funny moments and some life perspectives a pretty damn good movie. My movie goddess Jen has realized that when I am on break I can be spontaneous and has been spoiling me rotten.

After I saw the movie, I took the 22 towards Cellspace and walked a few blocks to Cellspace. Seriously wish the area had more light and activity as it is dead at 10 to 8pm. Oh well, got there in one piece obviously and then switched my shoes. The place had two classes a beginner and intermediate both of which were pretty full for the small dance space. True Argentine style, no room to move, oye.

Pierre one of the teachers was so cute, it was bloody cold and she was in mitten's at the start of the lesson. I should have gotten a picture. We were working on small traveling ocho's, and some of the walking turns with cross step footwork.

You have to remember that tango is just a matter of walking. Frontwards, backwards and sideways, with the ability to go quick and slow and turn around. If you can do that, then you can dance. It is just learning to do it to the timing of the music or for me trying not to anticipate and go with the flow.

This is really hard for me to do. Partially because where I first started to learn tango we learned both roles. Unlike this class where there were more guys than girls (Wow never happened before!) I got often stuck playing the lead in class. Then of course at home since I danced it! None of this has helped me develop my ability to follow. Oh well on to learning right?

I have to say I felt like a bumbling fool part of the time, and others like I was remember the old steps. In my head I kept cursing the shoes, while looking straight a head with a smile and holding a conversation. Trying not to anticipate and wait for the lead and of course not take the lead. Also trying to remember how to switch from quick to slow and listen to the timing. All of this is hard to do well in general but even more so with these damn shoes.

Remembering that dancing is on the feet, I am going to start hunting for a good pair of dance shoes. I also am making a note that those damn gel inserts did not work this time, strike one. They get two more cause I like the idea. I found a way of stretching shoes which I am going to try with these pair, funny I remember them being comfortable.

The lesson went well, the practice was lovely. They had a table of food and water all of course part of the $10 fee or $5 for just the milonga. Quite a sweet deal. People of all ages, though a lot were in their mid 20's to late 30's.. a nice little find. Met a few new friends, got to dance and practice. Went home a little on the early side cause I have so much to do for New Year's Eve which is today, hope yours is going well. I will be out at City Hall tonight, dressed to the nine's. Well talk to you in 2010. Be safe everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment