Friday, December 21, 2012

SCUBA certified completed!

So I decided to give SCUBA diving another try... I had tried once before when I just started college at U.Oregon. At 18 years old, in the middle between midterms, papers and finals coming up... I just had to much stress and did not complete my open water test. Plus my school instructor did not have us wear a hood, boots or gloves during the winter when we did the open water in Washington. Crazy no? It was freezing and the visibility was horrible.


Ten years later, I regret this and decide to go for it again, especially since I have planned an incredible trip to New Zealand and Australia. Thus I signed up for a weekend class with pool sessions and planned the open water test around my friends wedding. Getting to Monterey was no easy feat, nor was getting to the wet suit! Once there I had a great teacher from Bamboo Reef. 
For the record, I think these suits are like penguin suits and you can barely move. It is rather awkward. 
Or so I thought before I tried to put on all the gear! OMG this is so heavy and I still have to walk?! 
Walk or more waddle like a penguin we did down the stairs and to the beach. We then had to time our beach entry because the ocean was so rough and rocky.
Getting into the water is hard, and its a weird feeling of starting to have the weight relieved and then feeling it all. Plus the waves crashing into you, almost knocking you over. It was this part that would the first time make me feel a bit panicky as I can barely move.
Once you are well in the water, you can put your fins on which helps you stay afloat easier. The BC when inflated is like your best friend since it keeps you out of the water. I found I was OK when I was out of the water or fully emerged, it was the in between moments that wigged me.

We went to Breakwater and the site was built for diving, which Monterey has a lot if you are looking for a fun day trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment