Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Rant against the word "Ma'am"


Do I look like a Ma'am to you? That answer better be "No". While I know that people mean well and for it to be a form of respect. I am sorry it does not feel respectful. If anything I feel disrespected.
Even if people do look old enough, do you think they feel it? Heck No! They do not want to be reminded if they are older and worse they sure do now feel older. So how is that a good thing?
There are two group of people who are exempt or at least get slack in my book for this Ma'am rant. The first is from the south, its just part of the culture. As it is with the military and anyone associate heavily with it.
I know that when people say Ma'am they mean well, or at least not ill. I am sure they are trying to be nice, polite... and using manners. Yet to me and many others it is offensive. Making me feel like a relic.
I remember the first time I was called Ma'am I was thirteen years old, yes that is a 1 3, 13. I was ready to reach over the counter and slap the woman. Granted I have started getting grays when I was 13 or so but even so. I looked my age and never had been so pissed and ready to scream. It is 14 years later and the word still makes me grind my teeth.
If you are in customer service, heed my advice and don't use this word. You have no idea how it can make some people feel. Though that can be said about a lot of things. So maybe its more about watching your words and trying to step in their shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment